Dynamic Lifter Labrador
Wednesday, 5 October 2016
Gorgeous labrador 'Hudson' came into the clinic on Tuesday after escaping home for over an hour! His owner noticed on his return that he was vomiting, seemed a bit restless and wasn't eating his favourite food (very unusual for a labrador!).
At first we tried to make him vomit to remove whatever was in his tummy, but nothing came up. His stomach on palpation felt very distended and firm. A radiograph of his abdomen revealed a surprisingly large amount of pellet-shaped material sitting in his stomach (see right image).
The decision was made to prep Hudson for immediate surgery. The sheer amount of material in his stomach meant that it could potentially twist on itself or even rupture. We were concerned that it may have been an insecticide or poison he had eaten, both very dangerous materials for a dog to ingest.
We performed an exploratory laparotomy to remove the contents of his stomach, which revealed he had eaten a whole lot of dynamic lifter fertiliser! 2.2kg of it to be exact! (See image right.)
Hudson recovered really well and went home today. In the picture on the left, Hudson is featured with Dr. Nicola who performed the surgery.
We wish Hudson all the best as he continues to recover at home :)
RSPCA Cupcake Day
Wednesday, 17 August 2016
A special thank you to everyone who supported our Cupcake Day. We raised an amazing $1203.25!! Our absolutely awesome Willo gals baked up a storm.
Cancer vaccine treats advanced liver cancer in Sally the kelpie.
Wednesday, 13 July 2016
Our wonderful Willoughy veterinarian Jen Millar's dog Sally was in the news three years ago, when her 15-year-old Kelpie was treated for liver cancer with a new type of cancer vaccine. Not only did it prolong her life, the fun-loving Sally lived another three long years of happy life with Dr Jen. She is very much missed and loved. Here's the original story.
Tuesday, 3 May 2016
Mia is a 4 year old Labrador x Poodle that presented to us for acute onset vomiting. She was otherwise very happy, still eating and energetic. We performed a physical exam on her which was completely normal, and so she was sent home with some anti-nausea medications and put on a bland diet for a few days. Two days later however, she was still vomiting quite regularly, and the owners had started to become concerned that she had maybe eaten something she shouldn't have - she is often seen chewing on the family's sock collection!
She was brought back in, and on a repeat physical exam she was noticeably quite tender in the abdomen, turning around to look at the vet whilst the intestines were palpated. On suspicion we took abdominal radiographs to search for any foreign bodies. On one of the radiograph views, there was a very subtle striated pattern in the small intestines, highly suggestive of a sock! (attach image).
Vomiting can be a result of dietary indiscretion, bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, anxiety, motion sickness, gastrointestinal (GI) obstruction or the result of systemic disease. We often treat vomiting conservatively initially, but if persistent further evaluation is necessary. Obstruction by a foreign body can be partial or complete if the object is unable to pass.
In Mia's case, she was still passing faeces and the radiogaphs did not display on obstructive pattern. Because of this, we chose to admit Mia to hospital and place her on fluid therapy to assist the motility of the GI tract. We monitored her closely and did repeat radiographs the following day to follow the movement of the sock. Careful monitoring is important with foreign body ingestion ad objects can lead to distension of the small intestines with fluid and gas, damage to surrounding tissue and possible even perforation.
The following morning Mia had still not passed the sock, but a rectal exam by the vet detected a soft object that was able to be grasped and slowly pulled out of her rectum. It was a knee-high sock! This was great news, as the fluids had helped Mia pass the foreign body all the way through her intestines, avoiding the need to have surgery to remove it. Well done Mia! She was sent home later that day on a bland diet to settle her GI tract, and strict instructions to avoid sock munching in future.
Thursday, 31 March 2016
Mojo is a delightful male, desexed, 13 year, bichon frise cross. He presented almost a year ago for drinking a lot. He was otherwise happy and well. We tested his urine and it was indeed found to be inappropriately dilute so we ran a comprehensive blood test. It was normal except for an elevated calcium level. Differential diagnoses for high calcium in the blood are lymphosarcoma, chronic renal failure, hyperparathyroidism, hypoadrenocorticism, anal gland carcinoma, Vitamin D toxicoses, chronic renal failure, multipole myeloma – and a few very rare other causes. So we went about differentiating between these options.
Mojo obliged by letting us take radiographs to search for any changes to his bones or any cancer. Happily, we found nothing. We did see small stones in his bladder. After ruling out the other diseases, and because Mojo wasn’t feeling unwell, we concluded that he had HYPERPARATHYROIDISM. Primary hyperparathyroisim is caused by increased secretion of parathyroid hormone (PTH) by the parathyroid glands. Surgical removal of the glands by a specialist after MRI and or ultrasound is possible but due to his age and his recent surgery his owner decided to trial conservative therapy which consists of minimising calcium uptake of the intestines by using cortisone tablets daily.
Mojo is doing very well and his calcium level is under control. His lovely owner is delighted to see him happy and well and enjoying life.
If your pet is drinking a lot please make an appointment for a consultation and, if you can, please bring in a urine sample.
An update on Princess
Tuesday, 16 September 2014
Princess is doing extremely well. She is back to her old self and her owner has sent in a picture of her cuddled up with her sister Coco.
Monday, 8 September 2014
Firstly, thanks so much to Dr Hope for her care, kindness for our kitten burmese Princess, who unfortunately had a brief encounter in a front loading washing machine on Saturday. My fiancé and I rushed Princess to Willoughby Vet on Saturday shortly after the incident occurred, just to make sure she was ok, and have a check up after this horrific accident. Princess thankfully did not have any broken bones, as that was my first initial concern. However, due to the washing power being highly concentrated, it did burn her eyes very badly and cause her a lot of irritation to her eyelids. This was obvious immediately, and something that I had not initially given thought to.
Dr Hope was fantastic, giving Princess pain killers, anti inflammatory, eye drops and checking her temperature. She did stay in the vet for 2 nights and was put on a drip and closely monitored. Thankfully, Princess slowly improved, and this morning I picked her up and took her home. I will care for her to make sure she makes a full recovery and will give her her medication as prescribed and eye drops 4 times a day.
To any pet owner out there, please take this as a warning. Always make sure your pet is no where near the washing machine and/or dishwasher when you are going to use these appliances! I have heard of so many tragic accidents involving cats having these types of accidents. My weekend was very sad, not knowing the outcome of Princess, and my fiancé and I were worried sick. Thankfully she is on the mend, and I will bring her back on Thursday afternoon for another check up to make sure he eye sight is ok, and that her eyes are healing up.
A huge thank you again to Dr Hope for helping Princess and keeping me informed of her progress and treatment. I am a huge animal lover myself, so was very appreciative of everything Dr Hope did to help us. xx
With warm regards
Thankyou to Christina for the lovely letter, we a very appreciative of your high regard and glad that we could help out. We will be posting updates on Princess's progress and hope to see little Princess bouncing around energetically soon.